I’ve been a huge fan of the Losi Mini 8 since it was first released and just can’t get enough of this little buggy. Having done a few blog entries on this little buggy already I figured it was time to get everything I had done to my well used Mini 8 in writing before I forgot and started making more changes!
Here is what I have used so far:
Starting at the front, I installed the new carrier and spindle set because they are more durable than the stock plastic pieces and because they run a bit smoother than the stock plastic pieces. I had broken one set of the stock plastic front suspension mounts (when using a 3S LiFe battery!) so I upgraded this area with the aluminum set. I like the aluminum set because is it more durable and because the front kick-up is easily adjustable with the included inserts. The stock plastic wheel hexes can bind if the wheel is over tightened but the new aluminum hexes hold their form, prohibiting this from happening. The wheel is located in the center of the hex and is held in place with a rubber o-ring, preventing it from falling out. I also installed these on the back end. The last front end item I replaced was the stock aluminum shock tower with a rigid graphite shock tower from Xtreme Racing.
To smooth out the suspension I went new hard anodized shock bodies and TiNi coated shock shafts. When building the shocks I used Trinity/Epic shocks low friction shock speaks and plenty of Green Slims shock building lube.
Working on the drivetrain, I used light weight outdrives to reduce rotating mass. When I had the front and rear diffs apart to install these I packed them full with thick and sticky green grease.
Next, I used the new aluminum servo mount. It is great with the stock servo and many aftermarket servos too. When I had the servo removed I took it apart and shortened the wires. NOTE: Doing this will void the warranty.
Working my way toward the back of the Mini 8, I installed a graphite top plate and battery hold down from Xtreme Racing.
Finally, to the back end! Up first were new aluminum hubs from Losi, again, to increase durability and performance. To keep the drivetrain free from dirt and debris I used thin graphite wheel/mud guards from Xtreme Racing. To match the front shock tower I used a graphite tower from Xtreme racing too.
With all these chassis changes I also had to upgrade the electronics and power plant. I decided upon a CM26 6800Kv Motor from Castle Creations and a Tekin Mini Rage esc. I chose this combination because I was able to solder the Castle Motor directly to the solder posts on the Tekin Mini Rage ESC. I also shortened the wires that plug into the receiver. NOTE: Shortening these wires on your own will void the warranty. A new battery was also in order so I went with a 2S, 2000mAh pack from Losi.
When making the all these changes I used gold lock-nuts and countersinking washers from Dynamite and titanium screws. While this does not add much to durability or performance they look very cool.
Keep checking back as I have a new body and trick parts on the way for my trick Mini 8!
(9) Readers Comments
February 08, 2012
April 19, 2012
June 19, 2012
July 08, 2012
April 02, 2012
like the tires
My son lives for rc stuff
It'd be cool to have my YouTube Channel featured in one of you magazin
l like pro-line bodies!
Excellent contest for Christmas Thank you